Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Ethnography Reflection


This past week, I submitted my Ethnography Project. This project asked us to examine an online community and gather our thoughts and ideas on that community. I’m choosing to write a reflection on the assignment because I really enjoyed it. I took Research in Qualitative Methods last term, and we focus on ethnographers and all of their work. We did a research project but not an online project. Therefore, this project provided a great opportunity for me to put the material I learned last term to use. 

I chose to explore the online makeup community. Specifically, the community surrounding a well-known makeup artist by the name of Leslie Quezada. Most of her pages are titles LesDoMakeup. Leslie is an amazing artist, her charisma and humor make it easy to watch her videos and instantly want her to succeed. My ethnography focused on how supportive the community is of her and how dedicated they are to watch her succeed. She calls her fan base “Baby Girls” and all of her fans consistently share her videos and comment just to make her go viral every time she posts. She has thousands of followers on Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and YouTube,

This ethnography made me reflect on how amazing a community can be when there is a common goal. When individuals are able to put their differences aside and work towards one goal, they can achieve it. In this case, we saw Leslie’s supporters and the determination of her fan base to help her get the recognition she deserves. The online makeup community is just a wonderful space for individuals to express themselves and ask for tips/questions without having to worry about and judgment. 

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed your post about your ethnography. I also watch the famous Youtube star, Les Do Makeup and I believe has serves her audience on a huge platform. Today, our society is based on social media influencers and it is important to recognizes the ones who do it for their viewers and do not let others tear them down based on some Internet trolls.

    ReplyDelete

Final Project

Social Media has tremendously influenced our generation. Throughout this course, we have examined how new media has dominated our lives. Ne...