Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Do I Look Like Frida Kahlo?



As I was thinking about what to make this next post about, I remembered a little incident that happened to me while I was competing at a Speech tournament. A couple of months ago, I was exiting the restroom after checking my hair and I realized I forgot my phone at the sink. I immediately turned around and a competitor with a southern accent approached me and said “ Hey, this is your phone right?” and I was like “ Yes! Thank you so much that was kind of you to bring it to me”. She then responds “ Oh yeah, I could tell it was yours because there’s a photo of you on the wallpaper”. FRIDA KAHLO IS MY WALLPAPER. I chuckled and walked away. As I stormed away I thought two things. First, how in the world does she not know who Frida Kahlo is? Second, do I really look like her? Then I thought, wow I just payed $20 to get my eyebrows done. Frida clearly has a uni-brow.  As I shared what happened to me with everyone on the team, I realized Frida’s brow is powerful and I began to think of the meaning behind her brow.

Frida’s famous eyebrow is a feminist icon. Her short hair and famous brow is what made her stick out. She was determined to celebrate her beauty and Mexican identity by defying beauty norms. Frida’s eyebrows and short hair went completely against beauty norms during her time. Beauty norms which made it clear, it was not okay for a woman to have facial hair or short because it is seen as too masculine. 

Frida’s celebration of her own self-image is one of my favorite things about her. I love how confident she was in her image. We live in a society that prioritizes image and has very specific beauty standards women are expected to follow. The decision to live up to those standards or not is completely up to us. However, our decisions need to be worn with confidence. Frida teaches us all to love ourselves. So maybe I will let me eyebrows grow out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Project

Social Media has tremendously influenced our generation. Throughout this course, we have examined how new media has dominated our lives. Ne...